Wednesday, 18 April 2018
Representatives tells Buhari Secure Chibok girls, Leah’s rescue before 2019,
The House of Representatives earlier asked the Executive arm of government to secure the release of the remaining 113 Chibok schoolgirls and the last Dapchi girl, Leah Sharibu, still held in captivity before 2019.
It also raised concerns over claims that the Federal Government had so far bought $460m (N165bn) worth of military hardware from a US firm without appropriation by the National Assembly.
The money is said to be aside from the $1bn recently approved for release by President Muhammadu Buhari for the purpose of equipping the military.
Members were embittered as they debated a motion on the fate of the Chibok girls, saying that it was embarrassing that four years on, the government was unable to rescue them from Boko Haram.
They also noted that though the government succeeded in negotiating the release of the majority of the Dapchi schoolgirls, the achievement would be rated as nothing, so long as the last girl, Leah Sharibu, remained in captivity.
The lawmakers debated on a motion on the urgent need to rescue the girls to mark the fourth anniversary of their adoption.
It was moved by the member representing Damboa/Chibok Federal Constituency of Borno State, Mrs. Asabe Bashir.
The session, which was presided over by the Speaker, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, urged the government to make the rescue of the girls its top priority ahead of the 2019 polls.
The Speaker, who summed up the debate, said, Until the last surviving girl is reunited with her family, the truth is that we have done nothing. While we commend the efforts made so far, we do not want to mark another anniversary of the Chibok girls in captivity next year.
Ayorinde also stated that Our security agencies must work harder. It is true that they are not sleeping on it, but the reality is that we need more work,
On his part, Douye said he suspected that heads of security agencies had not told Nigerians the whole truth about the fate of the girls.
Amid the debate, the Chairman, House Committee on Works, Mr. Toby Okechukwu, rose to complain about an alleged procurement of military hardware without appropriation by the National Assembly.
Okechukwu, who argued that the procurement was a breach of the privilege of members of the legislature, claimed that up to $460m or N165bn had been spent so far to buy weapons for the military.
He said, “Mr. Speaker, this money excludes the $1bn that we were told was released recently for expenditure on the military. Our power of appropriation has been taken over by the executive arm and we can’t sit here and continue to watch things going the wrong way.”
Okechukwu recalled how the same government admitted that it spent N1.4tn on fuel subsidy annually without recourse to the National Assembly, a point earlier raised by another lawmaker, Mr. Karimi Sunday.
The House unanimously passed the motion on the Chibok girls and also directed its Committees on Finance, Ethics/Privileges to verify the allegation that $460m had already been spent on military hardware without appropriation by the National Assembly.
Source: Punch
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment